Respect

I guess I could say that I am very lucky to have the kind of family I have. No, I take that back, I am indeed lucky to have the kind of family I have. I am a living testament that your own family are the only people who will love you for who you are and for who you are not!


My parents were wise enough to teach us the importance of respect early on. As I made my first outside the house on my way to the first of day of school in nursery, I was told to have and show respect for people, whether it be a schoolmate, a peer, a teacher or a school staff, it is very important to have and show them respect. Of course it didn't make any sense back then, or at least I didn't know what exactly they mean, but nevertheless I am sure I was told to do so by my parents.

Growing up, my parents made us realize the difference between fear and respect. That it is better to have the latter than the former. That it's not a sin to reason back if you know you are right provided you do so in a respectful manner. My parents were kind enough to hear our thoughts and encourages us to voice them out. You'd be amaze to hear us 5 talk. Behind the casual banters and tirades, every word has an underlying respect for each other's opinions and thoughts.

Reporting to different supervisors and managers in my six years of working in a corporate world, I have come to exercise the practice that I have been told ever since. I may have opposing opinions with my direct supervisors, I may not agree with everything they have to say, but it is always important to have and show respect for them. If not for their position at least respect as a person.

Now, that I am overseas, I am grateful more than ever for having been told to have and show respect to everyone. Meeting other people and knowing different cultures makes me think that I was indeed very lucky to have been raised the way that I have been.

0 comments: